Blog Archive

2/6/17

Baby Shawl Collar Sweater - Limited Time Free Crochet pattern

I'm sure I'm not alone in this, but - does anyone else realize how hard it is to find cute crochet projects for baby boys?!
Before I was pregnant with this little bundle of wiggles, I loved making things for my nieces and friends with little girls. We in the knitting/crochet worlds know there is no limit to adorable dress patterns, sweaters, hats, bows....
But boys? Yeah, not so much...

So surprise, surprise, I had the hardest time finding a sweater pattern that I liked. I knew that I wanted to make something with a shawl collar, but everything I found was either a.) a paid pattern (and more than I wanted to pay), b.) a pattern for a big(ger) kid, or c.) A cardigan pattern.
Now, I would not say I'm an expert crochet-er, but I feel pretty comfortable adapting a pattern. Making a pattern though, seemed a little daunting. But of course, I'm always up for a challenge.
So here it is, my first *real* crochet pattern!

Disclaimers: 
1. Please leave me feedback! As this is my first written pattern, I'd love to hear if there are hard-to-read instructions or areas that aren't clear.
2. The directions are in US terms.
3. This pattern fits approximately 0-3 months (with yarn and hook size listed below). Larger sizes coming soon!
4. If you would like to make the sweater without the front seam, simply begin pattern (starting at foundation chain) by crocheting in the round.
5. I finished the edges of the sweater (sleeves, bottom) by adding sl st along the last/bottom round. This is totally a preference, and you could certainly finish these off in any way you'd like!

Baby Shawl Collar Pullover Sweater (0-3 months)
Sweater is my own creation, the blanket was a (adorable) gift, and Boxy Fox was an amigurumi pattern I found here
Supplies:
  • Yarn (pictured): Bernat Super Value (worsted weight - 4), color: Honey
  • Hook: 5mm/US H
  • Yarn needle
  • Scissors

Stitches/abbreviations:
  • ch: chain
  • st: stitch
  • sc: single crochet
  • ms: moss stitch (also known as granite stitch. [sc, ch 1]; great video tutorial here
  • sl st: slip stitch
  • bk loops only: stitch in back loops only

Gauge: Ch 22, moss stitch 10 across, 10 rows =  4.5 inches wide x 3 inches tall 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BODY (includes, back, shoulders, and chest):
TO BEGIN, ch 74. [to avoid front seam, sl st into the first chain here.]
Round 1: In 4th ch from hook, sc, ch 1. *Skip next ch, sc in next ch space.* Repeat from * to * around. Ch 2, turn. (36 ms).
Rnd 2: Sc in first ch space, ch 1. *Sc in next ch 1 space, ch 1 (moss stitch)*. Repeat * to *. Ch 2, turn (36 ms)
Rnd 3 - 24: Repeat Row 2. At the end of Rnd 24, fasten off and weave in end.
Rnd 25 (back/shoulders): Skip first 9 ms chains. Sl st in 10th ch. Ms in same ch. Ms in the next 17 st. Ch 2, turn. (18 ms)
Rnd 26:  Ms in first ch from hook. Ms across, ch 2, turn. (18 ms)
Rnd 27 - 35: Repeat Rnd 26.
Rnd 36 (shoulder A/chest): Ms in first 5 ch spaces. Ch 2, turn. (5 ms)
Rnd 37 - 50: Repeat Rnd 36. At the end of Rnd 50, fasten off, leave long tail for sewing/sc joining (see below).
[The following directions are for shoulder B/chest.]  
Rnd 36: Sl st into 14th ch. Ms in same ch. Ms in next 4 st. Ch 2, turn.
Rnd 37 - 50: Repeat Rnds 37 - 50 as above. fasten off, leave long tail for sewing/sc joining (see below).

To join body (create front seam):  fold edges of body (rows 1 - 24) so that edges meet. Sc sides of rows 1-24 together. Fasten off and weave in ends.

The 'wrong side' of the sweater, all joined




To join Shoulders/chest to body: 
There are two ways to join the shoulders/chest to the body.
1.) with yarn needle, fold over shoulders/chest to meet front of body, stitch top of row 50 (5 ms shoulders) to top of row 24, skipping first 5 ms and starting in the 6th ms.
2.) with long tail, fold over shoulders/chest to meet front of body, sc top of row 50 (5 ms shoulders) to top of row 24, skipping first 5 ms and starting in the 6th ms.

ARMS (make 2/repeat on both sides):
Rnd 1: Sl st in 'armpit' of one arm. Sc in same st, and sc around. Join with sl st in first sc, ch 1, turn. (26 sc)
Rnd 2: Ms in same st, *skip next sc, ms in next st*. Repeat from * to *. Ch 2, turn.
Rnd 3: Ms in next ch space. Ms around, ch 2, turn. (13 ms)
Rnd 4 - 21: Repeat Rnd 3. Fasten off and weave in ends.

SHAWL COLLAR:
To begin, ch 13. (Collar can be made wider by simply adding more ch's)
Rnd 1: In 2nd ch from hook, sc. Sc across. Ch 1, turn (12 sc)
Rnd 2: In back loops only, sc in first st and in each sc across. Ch 1, turn (12 sc)
Rnd 3 - 44: Repeat Rnd 2. Fasten off, leaving long tail for sewing.

To join collar to neckline:
Join collar to sweater by laying long edge of collar to the edge of the shoulders/chest of sweater. Join by sc each edge together (44 sc), or stitching the two pieces together with a yarn needle.
To join bottom of collar to the body:
The shawl collar will overlap in the front of the sweater. To achieve this, start by joining in one corner and sc or stitch across the top of the body with yarn needle (Rnd 24 of body, near front seam previously sewn together). Sc in first 6 st, then overlap other side of collar and continue to sc or stitch both sides of collar to top of Rnd 24 of body.
Fasten off and weave in ends.


You're done!

Please let me know if you have any questions, and I'll do my best to answer them. I hope this pattern was fairly easy to follow! 

Update!
I've created this pattern in additional sizes! You can find the pattern, which includes sizes up to 24 months, here. This pattern costs $3.00 USD.

Double-Update!
Have you tried this pattern out yourself? I'd love to see pictures of your creations!!!

10 comments:

  1. So darn cute. Thank you for sharing. Good luck on the arrival of your little one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Truly great work!!!Nice inside and outside! I love to see beautiful work and this is it!!! Thanks for sharing!!! Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much , for sharing this Beautiful pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd love to send a picture of my project, but I can't see any way to do it. I added ribbed edging to the sleeves and bottom edge of the sweater.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the pattern thank you! I used a 6.5mm hook instead of 5mm and I'd say its about a size 6m then.

    ReplyDelete
  6. thank you for this pattern...been looking everywhere for this kind of jumper,....very grateful & Free ! made my day ;)

    ReplyDelete